1854

1854

In 1854 fifty Dutch Jewish families formed a Hevra (friendly society) called the Hevrat Menahem Avalim Hesed v’Emeth, which translates from the Hebrew as the Society for Comfort of the Mourners, Kindness, and Truth. This friendly society originally functioned as a mutual aid and burial insurance society but as the community expanded there was a desire to have a synagogue of their own so each family in the society donated a penny per week until 1867 when enough funds had been amassed to purchase the lease on a former Huguenot Chapel in Sandys Row. The society secured a mortgage of £700 on the building, which was paid off in 1929.